Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Problem with the Morning News

Pathways Advisory Group, Inc.
Jeff Karst, CFP®













Each morning my wife and I watch the news as we get ready for work.  Towards the end, there is a segment on the stock market.  They always talk about what’s moving the market and highlight a specific stock or two.  What bothers me the most is when they say something like “Investors are concerned about new numbers coming from insert just about anything here.”  As an investor, I am not concerned about the daily ups and downs of the market.  You shouldn't be either.

Who is concerned about this stuff?  Traders and speculators.  There are the ones hoping to make a quick buck or beat the market.  Playing the market is not investing.

Investors shouldn't worry about lower or higher than expected numbers from XYZ company.  You can’t control what the market does each day.  You can control your savings/spending and keeping investment costs low.

If I asked the media, do you think they would say “Traders and Speculators” instead of “Investors”?  I doubt it.

Visit Jeff on