Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Value of Time

Pathways Advisory Group, Inc.
Jeff Karst, Associate Planner










In finance, we often talk about the Time Value of Money.  The basic premise is that a dollar today is worth much more than a dollar in 10 years.  What about the Time Value of Time?  Is your time more valuable today than it will be in 10 years?  We tend to value “today” more than “tomorrow”.

How much is your time worth?  It’s a question I ask myself constantly.  

Outside of work, I consider my time in two different ways.  One: The time after work, before my daughters go to sleep is the most valuable to me.  It’s priceless!  There is not much else I would rather do than spend that time with my daughters.  Two:  After my girls go to sleep, that’s the time for TV, home improvement, or whatever else.  That time doesn’t have as much value.  I can spend that time doing most anything.  (Weekends are a whole different story.)

When is your time most valuable to you?  Is it spending time with your family?  Shopping with your friends?  Dinner with your spouse?  Whatever it is, I encourage you to focus on that time.  Those are the moments to capture.

Visit Jeff on